Friday, September 18, 2009

I'm proud to play "the love child of Grover and Oscar the Grouch."


Quick little post for everyone. Yes, it's that wonderful time of year again where I get back into the swing of things in the wonderful world of high school theater. This year we're doing Seussical as the fall show and I have just been cast in the role of The Grinch and I'm excited as hell. Now before anyone inadvertently brings me down by saying The Grinch is a very small part... I'm well aware. But, dude, it's The Grinch! If there was a play of, say Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck were in that play in very minor roles. Wouldn't it be a dream of any Looney Tunes fan to play those characters even if they only have a line or two? That's at least how I feel about the situation. So there you go.  The good news is that, unlike Little Shop of Horrors this past spring (don't ask about what happened there, I don't want to talk about it), Seussical wasn't a central part of my future puppetry career being determined (in fact, I just have a small gut instinct that it just might help with this show... maybe). The bad news is... well, it's a small role. But that's the last thing on my mind at the moment. I even bought a stuffed animal of The Grinch's dog at a church sale today for 50 cents and got all excited when I saw it. So to say I'm miserable about a small role is, quite frankly, not true.

Speaking of which, maybe someone can help me out. One of my favorite shows growing up was Jim Henson's The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss. I'm hoping to base my Grinch performance around Muppet performer Anthony Asbury's take on the character from that series. So no problems. Incorrect. Like pretty much all Henson Company-produced shows, The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss isn't airing anywhere on US television and has too many DVD releases for its own good. I've focused on The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and the fantasy worlds (The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Storyteller) for so long, I've ignored stuff like The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss for years. If anyone could help me out and recommend DVD's of the show that have episodes where the Muppet Grinch is prominently featured or could upload episodes on YouTube that include the character, I would really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment