Wednesday, September 2, 2009

America's Got Talent - except maybe Kermit

OK, so the America's Got Talent semi-finals just ended. I wasn't really paying much attention to it as I don't really watch it. But one thing stuck out: a performance by Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy.

Now, two years ago, I'm sure everyone remembers during the finals the amazingly talented Terry Fator got to duet with Kermit. It was, in my opinion, one of the best appearences the Muppets have done on TV in a long time. The Swedish Chef, Animal and Beaker filled in for the typical judges just for Fator and in turn he got a well-deserved win (Fator).

So I looked forward to this appearence tonight. But what I saw was awful. It was pre-established earlier in the show that Kermit had been doing God-know's-what with Sharon Osbourne (I've watched this scene at least 3 times since I taped it and can't understand for the life of me what Osbourne is saying). But this makes Piggy mad and prompts her to chase Kermit out of the dressing room when he shows up.

For the recond, Eric Jacobson is clearly having a ball performing this as Piggy. He really is loosening up to the character and really getting into Piggy's strong feminism that we haven't really seen in her since The Muppet Show. Jacobson saves it from being completely terrible but that doesn't mean it wasn't bad.

Kermit was the key problem in this. It clearly was not Steve Whitmire under the frog. The puppetry seemed to be on beginner level at points and his voice sounded more like Jimmy Stuart trying to do a Jim Henson impression. Because of this new performer, Kermit really doesn't do much. The frog and the pig accompanied by some Muppet chickens, sang the Elton John/Kiki Dee duet "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart".

Piggy briefly yells at Kermit at the very beginning for whatever he did with Sharon Osbourne and then gets right into the song. Piggy has no problems during the act. Kermit randomly runs offstage and gives host Nick Cannon a CD labled "CD for when Piggy has a fit".... why? She isn't having a fit but, OK... The act pretty much ends as you would expect with the pig forgiving the frog. FOR WHAT?! I THOUGHT SHE WAS OVER IT! It's not in-character for Piggy to go on with anything if someone messes with her frog. Period.

Overall, it was a nice try. But it failed miserably. Hopefully Disney will be able to wipe their hands clean of this with some better Muppet appearence. But, again, at least the Muppets were out there. I've said this about Studio DC, I'll say it about this appearence: it may be mediocre, but at least the Muppets are getting some exposure. And the audience did seem to like it. That must count for something but I was pretty disappointed.

(Wow, nearly all my posts on this blog thus far have been me spewing negativity. Rambling about money, a 5-part "rise and fall" tale and now this. Something postive better pop up soon! :D)

1 comment:

  1. Dude...listen. DISNEY DID NOT WRITE THE SCRIPT FOR THIS, OKAY? THEY DID NOT MAKE THIS SUCK. I spoke to someone at Disney's HQ after the performance - I and a few others were asked to watch and gauge this appearance...we're as stumped as you. The Muppets are a separate arm of Disney. The Muppets crew come up with ideas for appearances, they come up with the way the puppets are presented, *they write the scripts*...basically Disney ponies up the dough for whatever promotional/merchandising activity the MUPPETS come up with, and that's IT. I've been surfing the web to see reaction, and it's been pretty negative, and I just wanted to set the record straight - DISNEY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS. Pass the word, if you will - I don't feel like registering for the various message boards I've lurked at tonight. Nice review BTW.

    ReplyDelete